In addition to being a domestically abundant and secure source of energy, the use of natural gas also offers a number of environmental benefits over other sources of energy, particularly other fossil fuels.
Natural gas is the cleanest of all the fossil fuels. Composed primarily of methane, the main products of the combustion of natural gas are carbon dioxide and water vapor, the same compounds we exhale when we breathe.
As the cleanest-burning fossil fuel, natural gas creates less greenhouse gas emissions than heating oil, or electricity generated from fossil fuels.
Natural gas vehicles produce significantly lower harmful emissions, including nitrogen oxides, particulate matter, and toxic and carcinogenic pollutants, compared to gasoline and diesel vehicles. And because natural gas contains less carbon than any other fossil fuel, CNG vehicles produce lower emissions of carbon dioxide, a principle greenhouse gas. In fact, by efficiently displacing conventional gasoline and diesel, CNG vehicles go further than any other alternative fuel in achieving the goal to reduce harmful air pollution and greenhouse gases.
- Reduce carbon monoxide emissions by 90% - 97%
- Reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 25%
- Reduce nitrogen oxide emissions by 35% - 60%
- Potentially reduce non-methane hydrocarbon emissions by 50% - 75%
- Emits fewer toxic and carcinogenic pollutants
- Emit little or no particulate matter
- Eliminate evaporative emissions